Thursday, February 11, 2010

Getting Outta Here...

After being home for a bit over a month, I'm getting ready to get out of here. I haven't been doing too much and just the other day really started thinking about my upcoming voyage to Central and South America.

I've started planning my trip and think I'm going to be country-hopping by bus for the most part. Flights in Central America are really expensive due to a lack of competition, and one way flights are generally just a few dollars cheaper than round trip so it doesn't make much sense to be flying from country to country.

Right now all I have planned is El Salvador with Eric and Ian and then I'll be meeting IB in Panama the following week. After that, who knows. My initial plan was to bus from Panama to Columbia, then I did a little reading about crossing the Darian Gap. Apparently it is the only unfinished portion of the Pan American Highway and is infested with Columbian rebel groups and paramilitary death squads. As fun as hanging out with them sounds, I think I'm going to pass on that. Seeing as how I have no income, it isn't really worth it to anyone I know to ransom me, so I probably would be stuck with whatever group grabbed me until they got sick of dealing with me. Which might be quicker than you would expect...

My tentative plan now that the overland route seems unwise is to cross over by boat from Panama to Columbia. Apparently sailboats will make the run once they get enough passengers, but it takes a while and can be a bit sketchy. I better bring a life jacket.


No comments:

Post a Comment