Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Departure Is Imminent....

Since I'm leaving on Friday and sending the link to this out to all my friends on Thursday I figured I better have a post up otherwise I would look more than a little silly if people decided to check the link. So here goes...

It's begun to sink in that I'm about to leave all my friends and family behind for the next 2+ months. It's somewhat of a sobering though, but at the same time the nervousness I feel about leaving is overwhelmed by the excitement of what I'm about to embark on. I've never done anything like this but feel like I should have done it years ago.

I was reading an article the other day about college admissions counselors who were recommended that high school seniors work for a year, travel, or do something, anything, other than head right into college. It really struck a chord as I never felt like I got much out of school and just generally went through the motions. I had been going through the motions for nearly a year in my last job and knew I needed a change but just couldn't bring myself to do it. A friend finally helped give me the push to get out of there, and the result is a long trip to see a part of the world that I've never visited.

The current itinerary is Thailand, Vietnam and Indonesia but Cambodia and Laos are also in play. The trip length looks to be 2-3 months but could be longer. The goals are to eat food I would never otherwise try and meet people from a culture very different from mine but if you find me running an expat bar five years from now don't be surprised. What happens upon my return is anyone's guess. Feel free to follow along here for somewhat infrequent updates on my trip. Food may also be touched on, from time to time. And also visit to answer that age old question - Is Nate Alive?

4 comments:

  1. Nate, I am counting down the days (hours really) until you land. Absolutely proud of (and happy for) you for taking a leap. I can't think of a better wingman to explore this part of the world with. Have a safe flight and see you very soon. I have a big hug waiting for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY I am jealous! You should definitely try to go to Cambodia if at all possible. Flights are cheap from Bangkok and the visa is only $40 at the airport. The temples, the people, and the countryside are all amazing! Have a fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just make sure the ex-pat bar is in Indo so Crazy E and I can surf when we visit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, count on never seeing me again if you do open up a bar in an area with no surf, but I trust you have better judgement than that.

    ReplyDelete