Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Lots of pics, and yes, I am alive

Well, it`s been quite a week or so since I last posted. I`ve been above 5000 meters, found a pseudo-job, seen some really cool sights and hiked about 30 miles. It`s been a good time.

After Mindo, I headed back to Quito for a night to get my plans firmed up for Cotopaxi. I booked 4 nighs at this hostel called Secret Garden, which has a sister hostel in Quito. I got it all lined up, found a pair of pants (see below) and headed off. The place was a little pricey at $28 a night, but that included all meals and a few hikes, so I figured it was well worth it.

The hostel was in the middle of nowhere, about 20k from the Cotopaxi volcano. It is in an agricultural valley surrounded by volcanoes, and overall one of the more beautiful places I`ve ever been. The first day I got there the staff took us on a hike up a creek to a couple of waterfalls. I led the way in jumping into the glacier fed creek. They next day included a 6 hour horse ride up to the peak of Huachinago. My legs are still sore from that. The day after was Cotopaxi - took a 4x4 to about 4500 meters, hiked up to the refugio and then after a rest there made it to the glacier at 5200 meters. It would have been an easier hike but due to some localized, completely natural weather variation, the glacier has retreated up the mountain over the last 10 years or so. The day after included another hike to the top of Pachocoa. I then chilled for the next day and recovered a bit.

Secret Garden is owned by a Aussie guy and his Ecuadorian wife. It`s one of my favorite places I`ve ever stayed - they grow a ton of their own veggies on the property, have pigs, ducks, rabbits, guinea pigs, geese, chickens,and sheep for meat/eggs and get really good milk and butter and whatnot from surrounding farms. Katerine (the Ecuadorian) is a chef and we had some great food up there. Particular highlights included a few of the soups, the pizza baked in the wood-fired oven, and a rabbit pie (made by one of the volunteers that I`m replacing who also happens to be a chef). The rabbit had been freshly slaughtered that afternoon. I liked the place so much that when I found out they were looking for volunteers to take the place of a couple guys that are leaving on the 25th, I jumped at the chance. Starting Sunday I`ll be leading hikes, helping out on the farm, doing waiter duties and whatever else is needed around the place for a month in exchange for free room and board. Should be a good time and allow me to extend my trip a bit longer.

The last few days I`ve been doing a bit of town hopping. I went to Quilotoa yesterday afternoon to see the crater lake up there and hike around. After a morning hike today I took 4 different buses to a place called Banos where I am now. It`s a little touristy, but I`ve been told there are some great bike rides and hikes around here so it should be fun. There are also volcano-fed thermal baths that I`m going to check out. That`s about all for now. As a reward for making it through all that here are some pics:


Ziplining through in Mindo



Rock jumping in Mindo


Cool flower


My buddy the tree frog


Omar rounding up horses at Secret Garden

An experienced horserider


Waterfall near Cotopaxi
Lake Quilotoa


Cotopaxi on a clear day


Omar feeding Bazel a dead rabbit. Bazel eats them skin, bones a all. He especially likes to crunch the skulls.

The top of Cotopaxi




1 comment:

  1. Damn localized, completely natural weather patterns. That glacier learns to tuck in its pad and stop receding.

    ReplyDelete