Saturday, May 29, 2010

You can have my salt shaker when you pry it from my cold, dead hands

Apparently, the latest demon we need the government to protect us from is salt. And here I thought it was a naturally occurring compound that was essential for life.

There is a push for the FDA to regulate salt as a food additive and force food companies to reduce the amount in their products. The shocking truth is that eating tons of processed food can have some negative health effects. I'm sure all my readers are as bowled over by this as I am.

The push to regulate salt is just another example of the creeping nannyism in American life, and one of the most obnoxious aspects of the public health movement. The things that are being taken away from us by my count now include:
  • Salt
  • Tobacco
  • Alcohol
  • Wind through our hair (helmet laws)
  • Comfy shoulders (seatbelt laws)
  • Trans fats
  • Any others I'm missing?
When I open a bag of chips, it's not exactly a mystery to me that what I'm about to eat is not health food. My favorite part of that article was the food scientist Dr. Howard Moskowitz bemoaning the fact that people care about calories because being thinner makes them look better, but don't care about salt because it is only a health issue. Imagine that - people deciding what is most important to them each day through the spending of their own money. But when the choices people make don't square up with what experts consider important, we need the boot of the government to squash their little choices and get them on the right path.

2 comments:

  1. Must still be raining if you've got time to rant about the latest in the news! Relax and have a salad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. More bad news...

    http://www.slashfood.com/2010/05/14/heinz-ketchup-holds-the-salt/#ixzz0oK3YGv5o

    Time to add more salt to your fries...

    ReplyDelete